08 June 2018

Vietnam 2018 Binh Dien Cup Part V

Part V: The lightbulb

Remember when I said feelings can be dealt with later? Well, it's later. I've decoded most of my thoughts from my personal journal from this trip. My journal is a written record of my ideas, places, things, thoughts, facts, and yes, feelings. This blog is how I make sense of it all. If you're still with me, that's great. I'm glad the you were able to endure it and continue reading my boring tales of misanthropy and social awkwardness.

Did I accomplish my goals for this trip? I packed light, I was present in most moments and even shared a toast with strangers. I learned names in 3 days. I made connections with both the athletes and the staff. I went to In-N-Out Burger. Am I more nimble analytically? I guess we'll find out in September. I do think some of my processes and and conclusions were validated by this experience.

Simple is often better. The day is coming when I will have my own program. I know preparation plays a large role in success, but simple is something I do well. I am comfortable with it. I am going to continue to own it.

Back to the feels. There are 30 years (14 years spent as a coach) of athletes I've worked with that hold a place in my heart. Very rarely does an entire team sneak in there and pull at my strings all at once. There are so many memories and moments that we share and I couldn't possibly cover them all or pair them with the words that do them justice. I wish the best for all of them in their upcoming pro/college seasons.

What follows is not part of my journal. This will be unfiltered and probably muddy. I've met so many wonderful different people in my travels. I've worked many different jobs. I was a career changer. I started in the Army, worked in IT, moved over to software, taught MS/HS, and here I am coaching volleyball. Nothing has been more enjoyable than to work with people who share the same passion as you.

This trip was special for me because I spent time with strangers in a foreign land with only a passion for volleyball to initially bring us together. I am grateful that a simple thing like volleyball can bring so many people joy. From this team that won a place in my heart to the fans beating drums and blowing their vuvuzela's in the 90 degree heat of the gymnasium; I am humbled by your enthusiasm, and kindness. Travel changes you, it makes the world smaller. It compresses time without you realizing it. I was dreading 40 something fierce. After returning from Vietnam and working with this crew, I'm looking forward to 40 and I'm ready to share my story and be a part of many more. Peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment