05 January 2024

Who Sleeps in The Library

Well, I do apparently. My junior year of college I fell asleep in the library, and having been neglected by campus security at closing time, set off the alarms at the library on my way out. Nice run on sentence, though. It was an accident, and I actually performed well on that particular exam. This time around, I paid to stay at a library as a guest. Gladstone's Library in Hawarden, Wales. Below is the library in the evening just before sunset.


Some of the highlights of this trip, meeting locals at Talacre Beach and learning about the firing range for the Royal Air Force, erosion and dunes. Just across the River Dee is Liverpool, England. I would be remiss to mention the dozens of dogs and owners that I met during my jaunt to Talacre Beach. Especially the cheeky few that brought me sticks and balls to throw at the protest of their humans. Anyway, here's the lighthouse at Talacre and a few cheeky pups.




There's something about the way books smell that's quite invigorating. The history, and theology rooms all smell that way. I can't quite explain it. I'm not sure if it's a combination of ink, paper, and binding glue that compose vellichor, but step into any used bookstore and you'll get the idea. The staff at Gladstone's Library was kind enough to send along interior shots to me because as it is a library, and people are there learning and studying, I didn't want to be the distraction with a camera. I composed the shot below imagining some dedicated soul looking through archives and hoped I could catch a silhouette of the person in the room, but no luck there, maybe someone forgot to turn the light off or went to catch a snack.


I spent 5 days, and 4 nights at Gladstone's Library. I was able to enjoy Christmas Roast (lunchtime meal) and their breakfast with a few add ons for an extra cost which is listed clearly on their page. I might have stayed an extra night to experience afternoon tea at one of local tea rooms or at the Library. For me, it was the perfect amount of time for my first visit to Wales. 

On my first day, I went to Talacre Beach, walked around to beat the timesuck, and had brussels sprouts, chestnuts, and chorizo at Gladstone's for my evening meal. On my second day, I explored the area around Hawarden and was tempted to play golf, but thought better of it, since I was there to explore, not get frustrated at an unfamiliar course. 

Then the clouds and rain came just in time to nudge me into exploring all the nooks and crannies of the history, and theology rooms for the next two days. I absolutely love political cartoons and got my fill. I think if I was a religious scholar, I might have been able to spend more time in that particular section, but that's not my cup of tea. I wouldn't mind revisiting and trying to catch a guest speaker in the future and exploring more castles. The few I went to were easy to get to and provided a fun walk amongst all the sheep. Below is the entryway to Hawarden Castle grounds. People bring their dogs to walk the grounds amongst the sheep. The sheep are unfazed.


What's left of Hawarden Castle, it's fenced off so this is as 
close as I was able to get without disturbing the sheep.

I believe this pine cone sculpture of native wood is dedicated
 to a local benefactor of the Hawarden Castle property.















No comments:

Post a Comment