14 February 2024

Sharing the Passion

Tinker content ahead, it's a been a minute

For the new school year, I was asked to run the technology for our middle school students. Our first project is to build a car capable of protecting an egg on an incline and half-pipe at the skate park nearby. They could only use recyclables or reuse/repurpose unrecyclable materials. As you can imagine, there's lots of cardboard, foam packaging, bubble wrap, bottles, cans, and egg cartons.

A lot of decisions for the students to make here:
What's the best way to protect the egg?
How do I get more distance off the roll?
What shall I name my creation?

Things they're learning along the way:
Measure twice, cut once.
Hot glue is hot, and so is the glue gun.
I need to rough up my wheels so they roll instead of slide.
Eggs are really strong and fragile at the same time, weird.
The foam is satisfyingly squishy.

This group is doing a great job, refining their creations through test runs, helping each other build, and learning it's okay to make mistakes and get messy. We have rocketry and bird house building next.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment