09 July 2024

Tinker Mode

I think the best way to learn is by doing for me at least. I don't have an affinity for large broken things like cars and motorcycles, but small broken things intrigue me. I started taking stuff apart as a kid as a way for me to "help" my dad around the house. I was plenty good at breaking stuff, I'm clumsy, so I think my dad thought it would be a good idea to let me tag a long and learn how to fix stuff since it was bound to break in my hands. It started with fetching tools and parts. I learned their names and what they were for. Then the fun part, dismantle the thing, find the failure, fix the failure, and put it back together. 

The first couple of times on my own I would have parts leftover, strip threads or lose a bolt. Over time, I got better at it. I still occasionally break a tab or lose a screw. I learned a little downward pressure while turning can help loosen an overtightened screw. If you use a sharpie or tape you can keep track of which screws go where. Some of my favorite things to find and fix are watches, pocket knives, pens, cameras, sewing machines, and vacuum cleaners. I dabble in mending fabric of all sorts, camping gear, and bicycles. 

There are so many resources available to us, there's really no excuse to not try to fix things on your own. Give it a go and don't be afraid to suck, as with any skill, you'll get better at it with practice. It's bloody hot out there, stay hydrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment