20 October 2023

Daydreams

I get caught daydreaming a lot. When I say a lot, I mean when I'm speaking, sometimes mid-sentence, I trail off to my own little world. I stare and come back to my original thought. My social media friend posted something from NASA about Jupiter. I commented on how I often daydream about what it would be like to visit the other planets and surf the atmosphere of the gas giants in some sort of space vessel. I don't know why I daydream about space so much.

My life as it is, is fulfilling. I get to help people at work on a daily basis and feel like I'm contributing to the success of the younger people that I'm mentoring. I have a social life that doesn't stress me out. It's the perfect balance between my tendency to hermit crab and improving social mores without masking it all. 

Real life is finally satisfying. I wasn't sure if I'd get here after falling so far after my exit from collegiate sports. I think I daydream because I can't read books all the time. I would miss my stop, get hit by a car or fired. Some people draw or make music to express their creative side. Daydreaming is my art because we all know I don't sing or draw so well. Maybe one day, I'll be able to project my thoughts directly from my brain. For now, you get my spectacularly bland writing. Here's some Proust for seasoning.

“When a mind has a tendency towards day-dreams, it’s a mistake to shield it from them, to ration them. So long as you divert your mind from its day-dreams, it will not know them for what they are; you will be the victim of all sorts of appearances because you will not have grasped their true nature. If a little day-dreaming is dangerous, the cure for it is not to dream less but to dream more, to dream all the time.”

― Marcel Proust

No comments:

Post a Comment