26 May 2018

We have lift off

Apollo Technical Pen and Drafting Scale by Pranay and Paul

I backed the Apollo Technical Pen at the $65 level and received a Pen as a reward.  I also ponied up for an extra stylus tip and pen roll.  I do love pens.  My go to pen is Uni Jetstream 0.7 which I'll have to write about later since it by far one of the best pens I've encountered to date.  I decided to back this project because in my love for pens is also a love for refills.  It was billed as a pen that could accept many different types of refills.  Instead of buying boxes of pens to try, I could just try the refills and the ink.

Timeline:
Pledged-NOV2013
Estimated Delivery-FEB2014
Arrival of Reward-SEP2015

Update 05JAN2015
I have been using the pen with slight modifications to the refill.  I have pierced holes at the tip of the refill tube to allow for better airflow.  I noticed that at times the ink would not flow properly.  Being a great fan of the Uni Jetstream and having full knowledge that the refill couldn't be empty I used a push pin to increase the airflow an minimize the suction effect on the ink.  Haven't had a problem since.

Update 02JAN2017
I used this pen faithfully for an entire year. I gave up on open ended refills, because they were imploding/exploding, er the ink was not staying put even with the relief I was providing. I switched to an enclosed refill from Monteverde. It's my journal pen now. The Monteverde ink was originally purchased for a cool pen I had from college, but I could never quite find the refill

Update 10DEC2017
Last update came in on 09FEB2016 and people still haven't received their reward. As evidenced in the comments section. They promised to have replacement and retooled parts to address the exploding refill issue. They have not fulfilled thousands of orders and it looks as if a refund is not coming any time soon. Kickstarter needs to get a handle on these campaigns that don't address issues with their backers in a timely manner. 5 years is way too long for no product and no answers. This pen is decent. I still use it to journal with when fountain pen is inconvenient to carry. Lesson learned.


No comments:

Post a Comment